Recipe type: Dessert
Arroz Doce is a Portuguese food recipe for rice pudding.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- cinnamon powder
- Beat egg whites until stiff, and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Beat 1⁄2 cup sugar with the yolks and vanilla.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring milk, water, remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar, and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat immediately and slowly add rice and butter, stirring constantly.
- Cook on low heat until all liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add more hot milk if necessary and continue cooking if rice is not done.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 2 tbsp hot rice to the egg yolk mixture and mix well. Add to the rice in the pan.
- Fold in egg whites, lemon rind, and lemon juice to taste.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.