Salada de Bacalhau | Codfish Salad
Recipe type: Salad
Salada de Bacalhau | Codfish Salad is a Portuguese food recipe for boiled cod with potatoes, and mixed vegetables.
- 220 g dry salted codfish, cooked and shredded
- 1 large potato, boiled, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Before cooking, place the salted codfish in cold water for at least 24 hours. You should change the water several times. Remove the fish from the water, place it in a pot with fresh water and cook for about 20 minutes. Let it cool and shred, removing tiny bones if any.
- In a tray combine the codfish with the potato chunks, minced onion, avocado pieces, sliced eggs, stripped peppers, and chopped tomato.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar and oil, and season to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the codfish mixture and toss well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, letting the ingredients combine well. Serve with white rice or with rice with beans.