Sonhos | Dreams
Recipe type: Dessert
Sonhos | Dreams is a Portuguese food recipe for very light and airy fried doughnuts.
- 113 g butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 lemon rinds
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- vegetable oil ( for deep frying )
- cinnamon sugar – ½ cup granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Bring the butter, sugar, salt, water and lemon rinds to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. When the water begins to boil, remove from the heat. Then remove the lemon rinds and add all the flour at once. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- After cooling the mixture a bit, add the eggs, one at a time, beating vigorously until each egg is absorbed by the dough, before adding the next. If it’s a bit thick, then beat a fifth egg separately and add it cautiously to the dough, as it might not be necessary to add the whole egg.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a shallow pan. Using two tablespoons, shape small portions of the dough into balls and drop them, one by one, into the oil. Fry gently until the sonhos become golden brown on all sides.
- Pick them out with a fork and drain on paper towels. Then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot. Serve warm.